Frequently Asked Questions

There is code in here. Do not delete it.

Who is eligible to live in the Valor Home facilities? Who can receive services?

In general, residents and recipients of services must be veterans who have been discharged from active duty in the armed forces of the USA under other than dishonorable condtions. Proof of service is verified by a DD form214 and by the Veterans Administration.

How do I apply?

Call Valor Home at 330-773-7000. Valor Home operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Are there other qualifications that must be met?

In general, eligibility is based on need. Priority is given to veterans who lack a regular and satisfactory night time residence. However, veterans in need are seldom "just" homeless. Family & Community Services uses information provided by veterans, by the armed forces, by the VA, by other government agencies and from other authoritative sources to determine individual need.

I am a disabled vet. Will I be allowed to stay at Valor Home?

Yes. All Valor Home Programs and facilities comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and with local, state and federal requirements dealing with handicapped persons.

I have been convicted of a felony/misdemeanor/drug offense. Am I eligible?

Determination of eligibility is on a case-by-case basis. You are encouraged to apply. Individuals with active warrants or who are actively using illegal controlled substances will not be admitted, but will be directed to other programs. The Valor Home Program is both drug and alcohol free.

If I wasn't on active duty, but served in the National Guard or Reserves, can I still live at Valor Home or can I still receive services?

In general, no. However, you are encouraged to call the Valor Home, 330-773-7000. The Veterans Administration and Family & Community Services will determine your eligibility.

What about gender? Is this a program for female, as well as male, vets? What about vets with a family?

Miss Liberty House is a residence for female vets. The other programs serve single male vets exclusively. However, ALL veterans, and particularly veterans with a family, are encouraged to call the Valor Home, 330-773-7000, to be directed to available services and resources.

I have a less-than-honorable discharge? Is there anything you can do for me?

Again, please call the Valor Home, 330-773-7000. The Veterans Administration and Family & Community Services will determine your eligibility.

How long can I live at Valor Home? Freedom House? White House? Miss Liberty House? Carroll Street Residence?

The maximum stay at Valor Home (Freedom House) is 2 years. However, residents are placed in permanent housing as they complete the Valor Home Therapeutic Program and as soon as they quailify for housing. White House and Miss Liberty House are permanent residences. There is no maximum stay. Residents may occupy the Carroll Street Residence for 60 days while they are enrolled in the VA Intensive Outpatient Treatment Program.

Since Valor Home is transitional housing, how likely is it that I will be placed in permanent affordable housing once I become a resident of Valor Hom

Currently the success rate for placement into permanent housing is more than 80%.

Who owns/operates the Valor Home Program?

The Valor Home Programs, (including Freedom House) Miss Liberty House, White House and the Carroll Street Residence are owned and operated by Family & Community Services, Inc. F&CS; is an Ohio Non-profit Corporation doing business as an IRS 501(c)(3) organization. F&CS; has been in business for 65+ years and has programs in 11 counties in northeast Ohio. F&CS; Headquarters is at 705 Oakwood St. in Ravenna, OH.

Is the Valor Home Program a program of the US Veterans Administration?

The Valor Home Program receives operating funds from the VA under the VA Homeless Providers Grant and Per Diem Program. The VA provides a liaison to the program and regularly inspects the facilities. F&CS; is also under contract with the VA for other programs for veterans.